On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 6:46 AM, Jay LePree <lep...@optonline.net> wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> One of the things I always wanted to know but was afraid to ask.  The
> RBW method for determining saddle height is PBH - 10 to 11.  The
> measurement is made from center of the cranks (the spindle of the
> bottom bracket) to the top of the saddle.
>
> Here are the questions.  How many of you use this formula?  Do you
> adjust it if you place the saddle all the way back on its rails?
> (Related....don't laugh...where does one measure the top of the
> saddle...the area where you sit, the area right over the seat post?)
>
> I ask because my saddle height seems to be shorter than this (with MKS
> pedals and Addidas Sambas)..more like PBH - 15.  I would like to raise
> it to Riv recommendations, but I was wondering what your experiences
> have been.

I'll mostly echo what others have said: the Riv method is a great
starting point, but like everything else in bike fit, the details can
vary quite a bit. Tim's note to put the saddle up until your hips rock
then back it off a bit is good too. Make small adjustments, ride,
repeat. I can do this for days when i'm setting up a new bike, or
especially if i'm trying a new saddle. All of those parts have
different dimensions, so you just have to tweak.

Once you figure out what you're happy with, noting the resulting
measurements can make it easier to set up the next bike for yourself,
but the numbers themselves aren't important otherwise.

--
Bill Connell
St. Paul, MN