Thanks for all the comments. I'll make a few more of my own.

I understood from the early official pronouncements (basically many
repeated news stories of health officials' and government officials'
declarations on the matter) that cloth masks are meant to keep your
infection off of others, and that they do little to filter out others
infection from you. I've been acting on the assumption that this is true;
iow, I put on mask for others; to protect myself, I keep my distance from
others, wash hands, etc.

I rode today, mildly, and used my mask more than I have before because of
the number of pedestrians on the bosque routes. My mask (in this case; I
have others) is one shaped to cover the nose, with wire stiffener over
nose, made from 2 layers of thin cloth. When I wear it as designed, that is
close to face and about 1/2" above nose and ~1/2" below chin, each breath,
even when standing still, flattens cloth against nostrils or mouth, and
each breath clouds glasses. My other masks do the same.

On today's ride, I set it as firmly as I could behind ears, then pulled it
down so it was below nose but over mouth: this fixed the clouding, and let
me breath freely during modest exertion, but even a slight increase in
exertion -- sand patch, turn into wind -- had the cloth flattening against
my mouth (again, nose free). I could fix this by jutting my jaw to push
mask away.

Both of the 2 masks with "behind the ear" loop design (the other ties
behind head) tend to disengage from ears when you pull them down; at least
on my head.

Upshot: I will continue to use a mask for others, when in the presence of
others; I will devise some way of keeping the loops behind ears when mask
is pulled down below nose -- probably by attaching elastic to the ear loops
to strap everything behind my head; and I will keep the mask at half-mast
or even below chin when solo, but pull it up quickly when in others'
presence.

I believe there may be good reasons for masks. I am also quite open to the
possibility that they're not worth shit. From what I read, the weight is
equal on both sides of the scale, and there is more than ample evidence of
well-meaning officials causing upheaval in their attempts to preserve the
social order (Nisei internment during WWII, etc.). But I'll give
officialdom the benefit of the doubt; and I will continue to accommodate
others, assuming they will be more at ease if when I am nearby I am in a
mask. Who knows, perhaps others wearing masks is the reason I'm not sick
myself.

The mask question is really very much like the helmet question, but I don't
indulge others' preferences by wearing a helmet unless I ride with a group
that demands them (this is rarely).