What about a Tubus Fly Stainless Steel? 14 oz, I think, and can carry 40
lb. Steve Bilenky is modifying one for my new 26" wheel road bike. Not
quite as pretty as a Nitto, but light and pretty enough for the Platypus.

Or, sure, go rackless with a saddlebag. I can't really tell how much
distance there is between your saddle rails and the top of your fender, but
certainly a small Saddlesack should fit, and perhaps even a Medium (or the
Happisack or whatever they call it nowadays) with the right attachment
mechanism; the Carradice SQR is not a thing of beauty but it can hold the
bag higher than if attached to the saddle loops, indeed, raise it above the
top of the saddle. Carradice also make a special, low-profile model
saddlebag with the capacity of a Nelson, 16 liters, meant to be used with
the SQR, and which will indeed fit in tight spaces between tire and saddle;
this is the Super C Slim. Black and not exactly as pretty as a Happysack,
but easy to remove when not being used.

Finally, what about a bikepacking saddlebag like those Revelate makes?
Light, require no external supports but do pretty well at self supporting,
roll up small, and when extended carry very surprising amounts for their
bulk. I have a similar but smaller bag made by someone else that I forget
that unrolls to 9 liters, the same as the Carradice Junior, but is far
lighter and -- when rolled up -- far smaller.

But I'd hold out for the right rack; with a rack, at least, you can easily
remove the panniers when you don't need them, harder to do quickly with
saddlebags.