Does anyone know if the spacing of the cogs on a 6-speed or 7-speed
freewheel is exactly the same as the spacing of the cogs on an 8-speed
cassette? Specifically I'm talking about the freewheels RBW sells. But
if it isn't true for those, is it true for any particular brand or
model? And if so, how can I get those freehweels?

Sheldon's web-site indicates a chart with spacing for various
freewheels and cassettes, but doesn't name any freewheel brands/models
that I know how to get today. And what it does say indicates that the
spacing is somewhat different, as far as I can tell.

I'm contemplating a Phil-hubbed wheel for my later-this-summer
Hillborne. And I like the idea of the relative cheapness of the
freewheel version of the hub, of course. But more importantly I like
the idea of a nearly dishless wheel. I think I'll be using non-O/C
rims on this wheel if I do this; the strongest rims apparently don't
come in O/C versions (perhaps because that makes them somewhat
weaker?) so the lower dish possible with a freewheel arrangement would
be great. It may overwhelm my desire for having only one style of hub
in the household.

I'm sure I'd be happy with 7-speeds as opposed to 8. I'd probably be
fine with 6 speeds. BUT... I really really really don't want to
compromise my 8-speed indexing ability. My inexpensive shifters are
the best things about my current Trek hybrid. I've gotten spoiled with
virtually flawless shifting. I realize that I'll have one or more
"dead clicks" in my shifting if I move to a non-8-speed set-up; that's
okay.) If it's "close but not exactly the same" spacing, I think I'll
stick with the cassette arrangement and hope differing spoke tensions
don't compromise the wheel too much. If it is practical to *make* the
spacing the same, I'd consider that.

And... I should ask generally... are there significant differences in
"feel" of riding using a freewheel versus a cassette? That is, does
one make for a more free-spinning wheel than the other? I won't have a
chance to ride one first and don't want to make a significant move
like this without a small understanding of what I'm giving up or
gaining.

Thanks for any info you have or can point me to.

Yours,
Thomas Lynn Skean