In my experience with the Phil freewheel hub you would be hard pessed
to bend the axle.  Other styles of freewheel hub, particularly thin
axle cup andd cone bearings, you will not have such strength.  In this
case you are looking at phil so it is a non-issue.

My IRD freewheels run near silent compared to the freehubs, either
shimano or white bros.  The sound of scilence is wonderful, and the
freewheels have held up just fine and engage without problems etc. for
over a year now.

>From what I have read they do index with 8sp, but call Rivendell to
confirm, they ar ethe advocates for these and I know they will set
them up indexed.

Rob