Leah,
    Wasn't your Betty Foy a little lighter than the Platypus? How did that
feel for speed? I was considering a Platypus until I saw that the
chainstays were going to be longer than the Cheviot. The top tube is
already longer than I need since I'm happy with handlebars than only curve
back slightly. So all of that adds weight I don't need. The Rivendell
philosophy considers weight to be unimportant. I get it. Their main
customer base is men and with 2/3 of the population being overweight or
obese they have to design for people who are significantly larger, heavier
and stronger than I am. I love the aesthetics and quality of their frames
as well as their business philosophy. I like my Roadini but I don't want a
bike that's any heavier and I'm pretty sure the frame could be lighter and
still be safe and functional for me.
    A lightweight step-through frame would be a design challenge. I like
the step-through idea since it feels safer on a crowded MUP such as I have
near me. I have thought that when I feel a need to switch to that type of
frame I will get a Bike Friday which has low step-over.
    As far as getting on/off bikes I have always used the "cowgirl" method:
left foot on left pedal, push off with right foot and swing my leg over
while in motion. I have never had the flexibility to swing my leg over a
diamond-frame bike with my left foot on the ground. I had no idea until
recently that my mounting method is "wrong" because it puts sideways stress
on the frame. I have a true mixte frame, Velo Orange, and can just barely
step over. That frame has the traditional double "top tube" and there's too
much flex if I'm carrying a load or riding on gravel. Rivendell has the
right idea with a single "top tube"
Linda