I've thrown lots of money at this problem over the years... given this
list, I think many others have, too.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of personal preference, variety of needs among
different people, types of bikes, etc. Also, for me and others, there's the
desire to experiment. I think the first set-up that I had was fine... and
so have been the other iterations.

What are you carrying generally? Terrain? Risk of theft? Bike?

My first set-up was a Breezer Uptown 8, which included a rear rack with
rat-trap. I started as a commuter and decided not to-use a backpack. I got
the Wald 582 folding rear basket for one side and zip-tied it on. It held
my work bag fine. I could use the rat-trap for smaller items when
necessary. It was great.

My current commuter is AHH. It has a Saddlesack medium and Wald 137 front
basket. It's great. I generally put items in the saddlesack since it's big
and protected, and AHH rides better (for me) with rear loads. Front basket
is perfect for light items and overflow when grocery getting.

I've been tempted to try Ron's Fabio's chest, but I know it'll be fine, as
have been my other choices.

Choosing now, after having experience with many choices, I would go with a
Saddlesack, particularly a Riv frame. This is based on style, function, how
I'd mostly use it, value. If you're tall enough and don't need a rack under
it, even better value.

YMMV,
Good luck!
shoji