I believe you about the sound, but its such a hard thing to capture over
the video. I think I hear the drivetrain noise, but hard to tell the other
"electrical" one. I think video phones are not ideal for capturing such
things; I tried once again to record the SON noise without any real success
:/

SP and SON's are both great hubs. I think SON hubs get better rating
because people think they look nicer, they have slightly better drag
profiles vs SP, and they known to last a long time (A friend of mine SP
recently failed, though I think it was some time after 20,000 km; SON's
supposedly last much longer) Oh, and I think you can build a slightly
stronger wheel with a SON vs SP (though my SP wheels seem plenty strong, so
I think this is marginal). If all that adds up to worth the extra $$$ vs an
SP, well that's up to the buyer... One thing that I think is better about
the SP over the SON is the standard connector (SON doesn't even come with
one, and the Edelux female connectors work for sure, but are annoying
compared to the SP connector. I guess you can get a SON coaxial connector,
but that's another $30) Overall, I like both and decide which to use
depending on my use case for the bike.

Personally, I'd be pretty surprised if it was the hub. I definitely agree
the Edelux looks too dim (I don't think it's merely pointed too high). But
I'd put money on the wiring. Again, I think the best way to test that is to
try and isolate the various parts of the system (though I realize you don't
have the bike at the moment). Hopefully this is something your LBS is doing
for you?