When I was a teenager and before I could afford a ten speed, I rode an old
green Raleigh 3 speed that I stripped down and put ten speed wheels on with
the chain in the center of the 5 speed sprocket. Removing the brakes,
shifters, heavy wheels and all the bits made it rally sporty. Aluminum
wheels made it the nicest bike I had ever owned. It had no breaks so I
would wedge the back of my boot between the rear tire and the seat tube. I
had excellent (in my mind) braking. The guy at the boot store wanted to
know how I wore the U-shaped channel in the heel of my boot.
I rode that bike everywhere and never gave it a second thought. It had a
Brooks saddle.

I currently have an Ibis Scorcher which is by far the best fixed gear bike
I have ever owned.
Once in a while I consider selling it but then I ride it and remember just
how great it works for me.

It currently sports 38mm Rene Herse knobbies. I think it’s close to as good
as it can be.
It looks like it would fit a 44mm tire in the rear but not the front.

I prefer fixed to SS and flip flop wheel has never been flipped beyond
checking the chain length.

Roberta, if you’re curious  about such bikes, build one. I would advise
getting something that fits at least a 32mm tire, fatter if possible.
Only you can decide if it works for.
It’s a little like asking someone who rides a motorcycle why they ride one.
 A dog hanging his head out the window of a truck understands why.

Ray