I am not expert enough to explain where the differences come from, but
different cranks use different bb spindle lengths to get the same
configuration.  The Sugino AT's just happen to use a relatively long
spindle but once installed they clear the chainstays exactly as they
should.  That said, being a triple, the Q factor is going to be more than a
double.

Sheldon's BB chart is here:  https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html
(scroll down to the Sugino section for the Sugino AT)
I wish there were more Q factors filled in but hopefully there is enough
info there to do some comparisons.

If you do go with a double, the IRD compact double (46/30) might be on your
list... I have that on a Hilsen and it works great.  I am sure there are
other great options as well.
http://boulderbicycle.bike/IRD-Compact-Crank-46-30-assorted-lengths.html

Hopefully other AT users (or ??) will chime in with more knowledge and
experience...

Bob