There have been three versions of the SON hub for most bicycles. The first
was for rim brakes only, designed in the early 1990s. The spoke flanges
were polished aluminum, and they were connected by a black painted steel
center section, similar to the construction of the early Phil Wood hubs.
That version was made up until about 2003 or so. The next (2nd) version was
smaller and lighter and was all aluminum. It was available polished and
black anodized. It was also available for ISO disc. This version could have
the dynamo core and bearings removed by unscrewing the core with a special
tool. Because it can unscrew, the connectors must only be positioned on the
right side, lest vibration cause the core to unscrew. This is the only
version that must only have the connectors on the right side. The third
version, the current version, can have the connectors on either side,
unless it's a disc version, in which case the hub's orientation is dictated
by the location of the disc brake caliper.

Leah's wheel can be mounted in either orientation.

--
Peter White