Leah,

I (and Ben) would really recommend trying the dynamo system 1. without any
lights to see how the hib rolls and 2. without the rear light to isolate
any wiring issues.

I've had my SON hub for more than a year now and it was never as notchy or
dragy as yours (unless there was a short of the connections). I just spun
mine without too much force and it spun for about 35 seconds while the
light was connected.

Collin, isolate and solve, in Sacramento

--
Collin A