My experience with double FD's is that they are incredibly adaptable with
capacities far beyond the manufacturers self-imposed specs and guidelines.
The apparent raves about the CX70 I take with a grain of salt as there are
endless other double FD's that work just as well. I'm currently using a
Tiagra 4400 9-speed double FD with 44/36/24 rings (9-sp chain, Andel triple
crank) and it shifts as well as I could ask for. That's even using a 44t
ring intended for small/middle use mounted backwards, as the big ring. The
specs of the FD say it's 2(larger) road rings, the specs say it only has so
much capacity between the rings. How about what the specs don't say, or
can't say ? What specs don't/can't mention is the infinitude of settings
and usefulness. What they cannot express is the unlimited/inherent
creativity that lies within.

By the way, about comparing wide/low doubles and triple cranks..... 3 rings
offers the ability to run either large ring with the cassette. Even if some
gears appear to overlap per ring that's okay as that offers the ability to
use different cogs in the back rather the same cog all the time with a
single ring alone. It also offers larger up/down shifts just by changing
rings rather than by just cog shifts. So while a wide/low crank sounds okay
in talking about it, I won't be riding one anytime soon with the hilly
terrain I live in where I use 36,44,46 rings and cogs from 14 to 32 teeth
daily.

Also, the 152mm Andel triple crank I run is a black powdercoat finish.
Andel makes it in silver also , but I've grown to like the hearty finish.
It's very scratch resistant and easy to clean if need be. It's also notably
stiffer/straighter than a Sugino XD type crank of which I've used 5 of. The
XD is another of those online rider "favorites" that in my experiences is
the least favorite of all. The hidden/backwards bolt only adds to it's
demerits. Andel is a fine crank manufacturer, I wish their extensive crank
selection was more easily accessible in the US market. The Riv Silver crank
is made by Andel, btw.

I've grown to like some black finished parts. At this point anything but
the frame I'm okay with in given circumstances.