Hey aeroperf, this is my third time doing the trip on the Hillborne and it
does just beautifully well. It's up to carrying four panniers and the front
basket w/Sugarloaf bag, tent on the rear rack top, as you can see from the
photos. It's pretty stable and I ride in comfort thanks to the Moustache
bars and upright Nitto mountain stem. I'm running the old Vittoria
Randonneur / Voyager Hypers - very nice tires which I think are
discontinued now. I like to tour with fenders, so I'm using the 35mm
version, but would run 38mm's without fenders.
As to the East-to-West version of the GAPCO, we liked it fine. The only
drawback is the 3-hour climb out of Cumberland, Maryland up to the Eastern
Continental Divide. (As opposed to a rapid and fun decent going in the
other direction.)
For those who have not experienced it, The Great Allegheny Passage starts
in Pittsburgh, PA and ends in Cumberland, MD and the C&O Towpath Nat'l Park
picks up all the way into Washington D.C. We did about 50 miles a day for a
total of 350 miles, almost all off-road except our start riding from
(Amtrak) Union Station in DC to get to Milepost Zero on the C&O and the
arrival in Pittsburgh to reach our nearby hotel. (We reserved a mid-sized
SUV for our return to Richmond, Va., which you can see in the last few
images.)