Hello everyone,

Thank you for the welcome and for the detailed and thought out replies!
Your advice is much appreciated. It sounds like it would be a good idea to
talk with Rivendell directly, which I have been meaning to do as well. Its
good to also get some honest feedback from people with direct experience. I
think based on some of your replies I would be leaning towards the Sam
Hillborne, I certainly don't think I'd be disappointed.

Michael - the Appaloosa did cross my mind as well, thanks for the
suggestion. For some reason it doesn't resonate with me as much, perhaps
it's the lack of rainbow top tube! I think all the photos I've seen of them
are upright bar builds, so I can't really picture the frame with drop bars.

One thing I didn't mention is that I live in Australia, so Rivendells are
super rare here. In fact, I've only ever seen one in the flesh (a Platypus,
coincidentally). There is a bike shop here in Adelaide who have recently
started importing Rivendells which has got me thinking about all of this.

Cheers
Daniel