Ignoring Sram because I am unfamiliar, and a road vs. mtb/mtn difference,
lets say within Shimano mtb/mtn freehub bodies and cassettes, the widths
are the same 8 speed through 12 speed. Double check me
here: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/speeds.html So a rear derailer has to
travel the same distance inboard-outboard-wise for 8-12 speeds, staying
within the confines of friction shifting. So is the only other concern how
big of a cog you have on the cassette and whether the rear derailer can
clear it (and if not, wolf tooth road link or similar, right?). Maybe cage
length (and pulley wheel size?) also matter(s) if bigger cogs and wider
gear&cog range  = longer/more chain to take up?
-Matthew
San Diego