Garth made a wordy comment about being content and happy with your bike the
way it is.  Leah spoke on behalf of several Clem-upgraders that making
their Clem lighter made a difference they could feel.  The feeling that
Leah described was "heavy and slow", and the upgrades made the target Clems
less heavy and slow and that was perceived as a positive.

I have a number of thoughts on this (as usual)

I don't understand Garth's writing style and vernacular, but I think he is
recommending that people try to enjoy a bike for what it is, rather than
fretting about what it isn't.  I personally follow that recommendation.
Since it's only a recommendation, of course everybody is free to be that
way or not be that way.  The notion that the Clem is objectively 'heavy and
slow' doesn't mean anything to me.  I have a huge stable of bikes
(currently 18 that I am actively using).  The very lightest one is about 18
pounds, and the heaviest one is 32 pounds unloaded and when loaded can be
over 70 pounds.  For each of them, I push the pedals as hard as I feel like
pushing the pedals, in the gear I feel like riding.  Each machine goes as
fast as it goes when I pedal that hard.  Every one of my bikes goes faster
when I pedal harder, and goes slower when I pedal easier, and they are all
DIALED.  I don't comprehend this "heavy and slow" as a problem.  My
heaviest bike is my Atlantis.  It is objectively heavier than my Roadeo.
When I pedal with the same input power, I travel objectively at a lower
velocity on the Atlantis than I travel on the Roadeo.  So, the Atlantis is
"heavier" and it is "slower" than my Roadeo, but it is not "heavy and slow"
in some objectively negative sense.  The Atlantis is perfect at being the
machine that it is.  It's a perfect build, executed around a very good
build concept.  I could come up with a different build concept, and call it
an "ultralight Atlantis" and execute an Atlantis build that is 2 pounds
lighter.  That bike would be awesome, too.  It would be a different machine
from my current Atlantis.  It would be faster and lighter, but it would not
be better.  It would only be different.  Put another way: people are
asserting that 1 or 2 pounds makes a big difference in the enjoyability of
a bike.  If that were universally true, then your light and fast bike would
be ruined by carrying a picnic lunch.  For me that's not true.  There's a
great beer shop on the hill to my house.  If I buy a six pack and put it in
my basket, my 'bike' is 7 pounds heavier.  I'm not all of a sudden mad that
my bike is heavy and slow, I'm happy that I'm taking a cold six-pack up the
hill on my perfect bike!  :)  If 7 pounds of cargo doesn't ruin a bike,
then dropping 2 pounds off a bike shouldn't convert a bike from "bad" to
"good".  2 pounds lighter is an objective measurement.  Better or worse is
subjective.  My Atlantis is "heavy" unloaded, and is "even heavier" with 10
pounds of cargo.  My heavy Atlantis is great in both states.

Now don't get me wrong, when I'm planning a build, and executing that
build, every single thing that I pull together I always want that bit to be
as light in weight as is practical and appropriate.  Lighter is ALWAYS
better, all else being totally equal.  For example, I would NEVER build a
36 spoke rear wheel for myself.  32 is plenty for everything I've ever done
and ever will do on a bicycle.  36 spokes costs more (more spokes), is
heavier, and would be equivalently reliable for me as 32 spokes (100%
perfectly reliable).  I always use double butted spokes which are
objectively lighter, objectively more reliable than straight gauge, and
cost a tiny bit more.  I'm definitely more of a weight weenie than Grant.
I'm probably on-par with Jan.  I know that lighter is always better, but I
also know that in terms of measurable speed, a couple pounds lighter is
almost immeasurable.  How a cyclist feels about their lighter bike is real,
but it's all in that cyclist.  It's subjective.

Another piece that has less to do with objectively measurable weight is the
act of making a bike your own.  Call that agency.  Every bike in my stable
was meticulously curated by me.  I'm happy with the execution, and the
weight is the weight.  I have agency over my builds and my builds are
"mine".  If I were to buy an off-the-peg bike, I'm certain that step 1
would be to switch out the things I want to switch out, which may be for
weight and may be for fit or function.  That act, personalizing a machine
for yourself away from stock, is a form of agency that I think is 100%
positive.  If you have a stock Clem and want to change it to make yourself
happy and to mark your territory, absolutely do that!  Call it an
"upgrade".  If it makes the bike weigh less on the scale, fine.  If it
enables you feel like you enjoy riding it more, that's sensational.
Personalizing your bike could be as simple as putting stickers on it.

These are my thoughts on the matter.  All are opinions.  I think everybody
should do anything they want to do to their bike to help themself enjoy it
more.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA