I would like a Roadini, but it's going to be a while, and I'm going through
some money constraints right now, and I don't mind fixing up something else
in the interim. I have a Cheviot right now, and it's my primary main bike
for everything. I also have a Surly CC that I built up with an Alfine IGH 8
and Albatross bars, but I keep that at Mom's so when my bro and I visit we
have a bike to bang around on to blow off steam.

I would really like a decent smooth steel frame that will take at least a
32-38 tire, and I can build up either with another IGH/albatross or a
cassette and drop bars depending on my whims. Something zippier than my
Cheviot but not a straight up triathlon bike.

I'd like to get my hands on a '86 Schwinn Passage (my brother has this bike
and it's an incredible) or an early/mid 80's Trek 720. But these things are
going for PREMIUM money, almost ridiculous. I value them as $200-300 bikes,
but they are listed at $800+ and it boggles my mind.

Any other comparable frames to the above two I mentioned that I should be
looking at? What about Motobecanes? Do they have standard sizing for
components or am I going to be banging my head against the wall finding
French sized parts?

Biking is something I enjoy, and I can do basic bike MX and can learn the
stuff I don't know, but I am not deep in the weeds of dorkdom when it comes
to bikes. I have other much deeper passions. I probably won't build a
wheel, but I can replace a BB. I know what I like and what I want when I
see it, if I'm pointed in the correct direction by those who know. Hence
this query.