Hi Bones,
I have a Homer and love it. It's a great all-rounder for my purposes.
(Commuting, riding w/kids, running errands, rec riding to enjoy the day.)

But I have a stripped down faster bike when that's what I want.

(Have you tried narrower tires? Does it impact your ride given the roads
you travel? Also, have you tried rackless front bags? Perhaps these would
solve some of your problems?)

Good luck!
shoji