Yeah, the one I own seems to be pretty close on the mark for front hubs
(100mm), but off a bit for a 120mm rear and off even more for 130mm+.  I've
looked at the device from every angle and can't find anything about it that
should cause this error.  I even bought a calibration tool especially for
the TS-2, but it only works to center the front hub.  Therefore, as you
say, I use a dishing tool for every wheel built and centered. Once an
accurate center has been established using the dishing tool, the amount of
error in the stand's jaws can be taken into consideration on a going
forward basis.