Hetchins52-
No, the Sam weighed about 3/4 pounds more than the Homer, comparably
equipped: 30.5 vs 29 lb 14 oz (29.875).  This is the problem with weighing
- the Homer was 650B but had heavier tires, etc., etc.

It just comes down to weighing what you actually ride, and then basing off
of that.  If we could get people to weigh the bare frames before they build
it up, we could get
a “more rigorous” comparison.  The engineer in me rejoices.  But we really
don’t ride bare frames, and folks add various things to the build, and it
really doesn’t matter - Riv folks are not put off by a pound or two either
way, and there are NO bragging rights here for a “lighter” build, or we’d
all be retrofitting with $3000 Ultegra groupsets.

The item of interest is the comparison between one “ridden” bike and
another.  As Leah says,”…said she examined the Susie and it was SO heavy”.
How heavy?
I recently put a Brooks B17 saddle on my Sam.  The bike felt a lot
heavier.  Why?  The Brooks has a metal edge in the back.  I lift the bike
by the handlebars and rear of the saddle, and now it cuts into my fingers…

The subject keeps coming up, though, over and over.  That’s why I recommend
having the LBS weigh your bike to find out what you actually ride.
THIS is what you have to lift onto a rack on the back of the car, or haul
up the stairs to a second-story apartment.  This is what you want to know,
to answer the question at the top of the thread.   And the LBS will
probably weigh it for free.

Patrick—
Great idea for first approximation.  My scale is only good to the nearest
1/2 pound, though.  Since I tour with 35 pounds of crap on board, I try to
get a little better resolution (also since I ship the bike to where I plan
to start a tour).
Iconley—
That’s why I use Conti SpeedRide tires.  About a pound apiece, and 6000
miles without a flat.  That could change tomorrow.  And there is coral in
Florida…

I’m jesting about the conspiracy, but even Riv says “only a few pounds
heavier than carbon” without ever giving a frame weight or a comparison.