Hi Laura,
I just wanted to chime in with my experience so far.  I never sat on a
Rivendell until I unboxed my new 50 Mermaid Platy (PBH 80).  I have Rene
Herse 48's on it and ride the bike on NJ roads (huge potholes and glass),
up and down curbs, across grass parks, gravel towpaths, roots and rocky
paths even chunky hand sized rocky roads.  It handles like a dream and I
love everything about it.  It's gorgeous, the color is amazing and I can't
even think of a reason to have another bike at this time.  It's set up with
a rack in the back for panniers so I can do some light touring but I'm
mostly on roads.

You have many good suggestions.  Roberta and Leah both mentioned that you
could pick up a Suzie now and get a Platy later.  Not a bad idea if you
want to get on one now.

I had no idea what I was missing all these years.  Rivendell bikes are
SWEEET.  I'm in love.

Honeymooning in New Jersey...Kate