Downtube shifters have the advantage of simplicity and a shorter cable run.
However, they are most useful for road bikes with very aggressive riding
position - where the seat is a good bit higher than the bars, and you can
just move your hand to the downtube without bending farther.

Bar ends are a plus for more upright riding positions.
Look at it this way.  If you have to bend further to shift downtubes,
whether riding drop or straight bars, then you really should be using bar
ends.
Nothing says “missed shift” like having to change your riding position or
(horrors) actually look for a shifter in the middle of a shift.

And… I live on a “relatively flat” bicycle trail, yet find myself shifting
all the time.  With my road bike, not very aggressive position, downtube
shifters, it is a pain to take one hand off the bars, bend over, and reach
for the shifter.  That’s even if I’m riding the drops.  With my Sam and bar
ends I just slide my hand back and use the heel of my palm, or little
finger, to shift without losing my grip or bending over.
On my Homer, I used thumb shifters.  For me, not as comfortable as bar
ends, but at least I didn't have to take my hand off the bars or my eyes
off where I was going.