Thanks to all,

It may be a tough sell as opposed to continued tinkering with the Treks
setup, but maybe, just maybe I can convince her to try the Riv.

Roberta, I too, believe that the Platy will be a little heavier but with a
lighter build, it would fit her needs nicely.  She is strictly a bike
path/rail-trail rider and It would be "rolling weight", and a comfy ride.
 If we are ever out your way, I would love for her to take you up on a test
ride.  Future Riv Sister??

Joe...Originally my Sam was racked and bagged up for touring that it wasn't
really meant for.  The Atlantis (62 MUSA) has since taken that roll, and
the Sam is on a diet, loosing the heavy back rack, basket, and soon the
wheelset and tires.  Then, I believe, it will be similar weight-wise to a
Platypus build that she would ride.

Phillip...much appreciated points on weight saving choices as opposed to a
standard Riv build.  If this quest goes forward, I'll definitely refer to
these.  She rides with a Ortlieb handlebar bag and a small under seat bag
for repair needs...that's it.  ( I have to carry anything else, like
jackets and spare water bottles in a pannier)

Rusty Click
Pgh, PA