I suppose one person's "impractical race standards" are another's
comfort zone. I tried the high-bars approach and didn't care for it. I
felt like I was driving a bus and that my center of gravity was too
high.

You can disparage that as following "impractical race standards" all
you want, but the fact of the matter is that lower bar height works
better for me. But in coming to that discovery I've had to give up one
of the long-top-tube neutralizing variables in the process. Hence my
question: if someone prefers lower bars, should they size down with
respect to what ordinarily be recommended?