Adrianna

Here are my answers to your questions

--Question 1: What is your usual distance from pedal center to top of
saddle?

Saddle Height (SH) is measured from the center of the BB spindle to the top
of the saddle along the seat tube.   Not to a pedal located to some
position in it’s rotation.

 You can adjust the saddle so there is a slight bend in your leg when your
on the saddle and the pedal is at 5 o’clock, but it is NOT Saddle Height.
Pedal at 5 o’clock typically puts the crank arm parallel to the seat tube.

Grant Peterson has stated Saddle Height is related to PBH by      SH = PBH
– 10 to 11 cm.  a few times in the Rivendell Readers.   For example, I’m
5’7”, my PBH is 80.6cm and my SH is 70.5cm (set by someone watching pedal
on my bike in a trainer).  This difference is 10.1cm, very close to Grant.

SO if you your PBH, you can get a good approximation of your SH.

A 5’5” person typically uses a 170mm (17cm) crank arm.  Even if you used a
165mm arm, the distance is reduced by only 5mm (0.5cm) which is very small
change compared to the 87cm distance from saddle to pedal given my 70cm SH
and I use a 17cm crank arm.  Crank arm length is typically a fine tuning
 adjustment

--Question 2: What is your usual top of saddle (at seat tube centerline)
and handlebar heights?

BAR HEIGHT is typically referenced to the Top of the Saddle, not to the
Ground.  Your bars are in 1 of 3 positions:

Bars BELOW the Saddle by XXcm

Bars EVEN with the Saddle, 0cm difference

Bars ABOVE the Saddle by XXcm

I keep my bars EVEN with the Saddle to 1cm BELOW the Saddle, depending on
my fitness level.  I find I am comfortable in the drops and prefer the
drops vs the brake hoods.

15 to 20 years ago Rivendell recommended bars even with saddle.  Now they
say Bars above saddle.   I feel my setting (Even to 1cm Below) are within
their recommendations.

The lower the bars, your muscles are mor effective, but there is more
weight is on your hands and your hands can get numb.  The higher the bars
are, less weight on the hands and you are more upright, but your muscles
are less effective

If I read you diagram correctly, your bars are 3.5” (9cm) BELOW the Saddle
(37” – 33.5”).  This is an extremely LOW bar position, typically used by
the pros.

-Question 3: What is your usual distance from top of saddle (at seat tube
centerline) to handlebar center?

My distance (Saddle where ST would come through to center of the stem
clamp) is 60.4cm on my 88 Voyageur (53.3cm STL, 54cm TTL, 74° STA, 71°HTA,
71cm SH) with Bars EVEN with Saddle and 1 7cm stem length.   This along
with a drop bar reach of 11.5cm (C-E) puts my back at a 45° or slightly
higher position (back angle referenced to the horizontal).

This distance plus the Bar REACH results in your back at a certain angle to
the horizontal.   Long distances result in LOW back angles and mor weight
on your arms and hands,  Short distances result in HIGH back angles, you
are more upright and less weight on arms and hands.  15 to 20 years ago
Rivendell recommended a 45° back angle.  Now they recommend HIGHER angles,
more upright.     I am comfortable with 45°, but it’s a personal choice.

Additional Info

I calculated the distance from Saddle to stem clamp for a 50cm Ramboiulet
since it’s STL and TTL matched the Road Standard.  The calculation assumes
bars EVEN with Saddle and a horizontal TT.

Assumed a 69sm Saddle Height for you based on my 71cm and 5’7” height vs
your 5’5”, a 7cm stem length and 26” x 32mm tires (radius = 31.6cm).   Here
are the 50cm Ramboilett geo, the STL was increased 1.9cm due to the 2°
upsloping TT, and assuming the geo table is Effective TTL

STL 51.9cm,  TTL 52cm,  STA 72.5°,  HTA 71°,  BBD 5.5cm,  Rake 4.25cm

Here are the results

Saddle to center of stem clamp,   59.0 cm

Trail,  6.4cm & Flop =2.0cm,  both match the geo table

Front Center,  56.3 cm    You will have 1.3cm of Toe Clip Overlap,  most
early Rivendells do

The minimum Saddle to stem distance would be 57.0 by using a 5cm stem
(shortest available).

Based on this, this frame should fit you but you would need to determine
your PBH, Saddle Height and what Saddle to stem clamp distance you need for
a good back angle

John Hawrylak

Woodstown NJ