I tried rapid rise last time I was in Walnut Creek. I really liked it. I
ditched friction about ten years ago though. Dislike friction for the same
reason I like rapid rise: Hills! The San Francisco Bay Area is the home of
long hills, steep hills and long, steep hills. I can't count the times I
have been grinding up a hill with a derailleur in friction only to have my
rear derailleur decide I was in the wrong gear and shift for me.

But rapid rise? It makes it trivial to get to a bigger cog. Just bought a
rapid rise derailleur for my new Roadeo. Up till recently, I could not see
any point in rapid rise. Now that I have tried it - it makes perfect sense.
I wonder how many people that disdain rapid rise have actually tried it?

Namaste,

Corwin