On Sunday, May 1, 2022 at 2:25:31 PM UTC-6 Bill Lindsay wrote:

> iamkeith asked one question and then implied a second question by stating
> a wonder.
> The question:

I don't always do as good of a Job as Bill at making the message-posting
sequence as clear as Bill does, but my message - and rhetorical query of my
own - was mostly meant as a response to Corwin's question.  My point was
that I too suspect indexing might actually work for those who want it -
though there's no way I could know for sure yet.   I was just hoping
somebody might.   My other point was that I agree with Corwin saying that
there's absolutely nothing to "hate" about rapid-rise.   But both options
are still nice to have.  Horses for courses.

 A convertible Rivendell RD would achieve what?  It would allow people who
> love Rivendell but hate RapidRise to spend extra money on a Rivendell RD,
> but flip it back to work the same as a cheap Shimano Altus that is already
> awesome.  I don't see any point in that.

Well, to me, it would offer an option to continue getting what will be
presumably HIGH-quality and presumably polished silver,  normal-rise
derailleurs - as opposed to
perfectly-functional-but-cheap-and-not-attractive Altus derailleurs - which
could help me keep my old (and new) bikes running with my preferred 7, 8
and 9 speed drivetrains.  I've long since tired of cruising ebay, looking
for obsolete parts, but I like what I like.  It would be wonderful to have
a new and in-productcion option available.  And "yes," supporting Riv would
just makes it that much better.  Not saying I won't buy one or more anyway
- just daydreaming out loud.

I wish I could find the old Blahg or Peeking through the Knothole or Reader
article where they were tossing around the idea of the reversible spring.
It seemed so genius and simple to me.   Though I suspect you're right - it
probably wasn't simple at all.