I moved the Racing Platypus into the faster class last night. It was 15-16
mph, and the route chosen was 26.4 miles. That’s the longest club ride I’ve
attended, and not knowing if I could keep pace made it a little terrifying.
The group was nice enough but skeptical. I was the last to arrive, and as I
wheeled my sparkly raspberry Billie-barred mixte into their group of
lethal-looking black carbon drop-barred bikes I wanted to disappear.

“Are you with us?” asked one member. Cringe.
“Pretty bike,” said another. (Not “nice bike” mind you.)
My old group pulled up and the ride leader said, “Leah, aren’t you coming
with us?”

Right there, I just about caved. Feeling like a traitor to the one group
and a pretender to the other, I diplomatically said I’d just try the faster
group this once and see how it went.

Everyone (but me) clipped in and we set off. I remember thinking that this
was crazy. But, everything I do now scares me, so away I went.

There were new things I noticed in this group. They don’t stop - they will
slow up a bit to let people catch up if need be, and they obey traffic
signals but other than that, we are moving. You drink your water on the go.
They ride closer together, probably for drafting purposes. They all
magically accelerate at a certain point in the ride. I don’t know why they
did it, but I figure it was because they knew we were at the end of the
ride. Like horses racing home toward the barn. They talk more about gear
and bikes/components. They are not appreciating the flowering trees.

My Apple Watch shows we averaged a perfect 16.0 mph for 26.4 miles. We hit
speeds of 18.4 mph at times. I thought it was fun to fly around at that
speed but also hoped we weren’t expected to keep it up for the entirety of
the ride. My heart rate averaged a very respectable 147 beats/min. I did
not feel spent or sore or beat up after the ride. As I type this this
morning I feel fantastic and will lift weights after coffee.

You can ride your Rivendell to a club ride. You can even join one of the
faster classes. You will be comfortable and you will get to turn your head
and enjoy the scenery. But you will have to endure some skepticism and you
should do it good-naturedly. That way it will be ok for them to change
their minds about you when the ride is over.

It’s really fun to do group rides and be with bike people. I like having
someone else choose the route so I’m free to enjoy the scenery. But this is
not the highest use of the bicycle. I really like riding to get places and
do errands best of all. I am glad I don’t have to choose one or the other.
My bikes can do both.

I have this crazy idea. Next week, I could join my previous group and bring
my big, huge, hero Clem. Wouldn’t that be wild? Has anyone ridden a Clem on
a club ride?
Leah