I'm curious about others' dirt road/trail bike maintenance routines. I'm
moderately conscientious about drivetrain upkeep, and generally wash and
re-lube shortly after the chain gets noisy. For road, this may be 200 to
400 miles depending on routes, but on our very powdery, river-silt bosque
soil even a single ride will have the chain and cogs coated in a light
brown dust, and I do notice a very slight decline in shifting quickness.
This is all the more so as we have had sub- Sub Saharan levels of humidity,
under which the dirt road and trail surfaces dry and break up into very
fine silt.

I generally get about 100 miles of about 3/4 dirt-cum-pavement riding
before the chain on the derailleured Matthews starts getting loud, and I
often wipe the dust off chain and (using soft, long-bristled brush) off the
cassette, but I can't bear to wash the bike every 100 miles.

So, I am curious what yez do when your ride in dusty, or other sorts of
dirty, conditions..

BTW, when I *do* wash the bike, I've reduced it to simplicity: Take bike
stand outside and put near hose. Put bike in stand. Rinse bike with full
but gentle flow of cold water. Use long-bristled but soft brush and pail
with 2 gal cold water and dish detergent to wash drivetrain, frame, wheels,
disc calipers; rinse with full but ditto. Remove front stand, bounce, let
dry in garage. No more than 10 minutes. Come back later when all dry to
lube chain (James at Analog's Pro Link method: drip, wipe, wipe again, and
again; come back later when dry, wipe some more) and derailleur and brake
pivots -- spray lube or fine-spout oil can with chainsaw oil, not WD 40).
Total about 15 minutes.

What do you do?

Patrick Moore, after another very pleasant spring dirt ride on the Matthews
Road Bike For Dirt in Albuquerque's Westside bosque, 87*F, 4% humidity,
very light breeze, welcome in this high-spring-wind season.