I commuted off-road on a Pugsley in those conditions here in dry SoCal for
years and really did little maintenance other than lube the chain regularly. I
think I changed cogs, chain and the large chainring at about 4,000 miles but
that was about it. This was a 2x10 drivetrain.

I don’t think our dust is as bad as what you have but it does coat the bike
with a fine layer of dust every ride. In winter I would sometimes get caught in
some mud and that got washed off as soon as I got home. Our mud dries into
something that’s hard to get off once it sets.

Robert Tilley
San Diego, CA

Sent from my iPhone