I finally got around to taking the fenders and front rack/bag off of my
bike. I only had time for a short ride, but it does seem to have a
significant change of feel. I never though that it handled poorly with the
front rack. The best way to put it is that maybe the bike seems "sleepy"
with the front rack and bag. One thing I did notice is that it really wants
to be a wheelie machine without the front rack. My front wheel kept coming
up when climbing steep hills.

Tonight I have a longer ride planned with a friend. We'll see how it does
with a non-trivial distance.

Cheers!
Ben