Curious about this as well... I have a 2011 waterford homer.  I purchased
it complete off a list member here and then rebuilt it with parts I had
been saving.  Running 38mm panaracer pasela tires on 700c mavic open pro
rims (Not recommended, I know).  There is plenty of room for fenders but
looking at the clearance at the chainstays I wouldn't push it much much
more (definitely not on these rims).  Could maybe fit a 40mm tire.  I will
say that I think fire roads are a blast on a 38mm tire.   I will also say
that this is the most comfortable bike I have ever owned.

Jamin