Bill, I love the design constraints (one-day build, single-speed touring,
AND low cost).  About 4 years ago, motivated by my Quickbeam's setup of
"One Speed, One Cog, One God" (exactly, Patrick :) -- but needing
significantly more luggage capacity than a Quickbeam for living car-free --
I did a VO Campeur single-speed conversion via a Surly Ultra New
Singlespeed MTB Rear Hub and a Paul chain tensioner.  The Riv/Nitto Big
Back Rack, naturally.  Porteur front rack.  Albatross bars. As you can
see...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/millhiser/28828007907/in/album-72157668716780897/

Darn thing ended up being $1200 more than my Quickbeam, and it took me
weeks to build it, so I failed 2 of 3 of your constraints.  But I love the
simplicity of singlespeed touring. :)

Cheers,
Will