I'm not a bike designer, but the weight gain seems easy to understand.
Extending the chainstays for more wheelbase means having to beef up the
tubing. The trade-off for a "better" ride is more weight. In other words,
if you flatten out the traditional diamond frame shape, you need heavier
tubes to keep the same strength.