The best Rivendell for brevets is obviously a custom Rivendell designed for
brevets. I understand the waiting list isn't crazy long. :)

I've done a few 200k and populaires, and had taken everything from my
custom Rivendell that was designed for brevets, to my commuter Toyo
Atlantis complete with front and rear racks, fenders, dynamo lighting and
brevet-approved boxy front bag. I even rode a Jan Heine-archetype Boulder
Cycles bike with "skinny tubing" to see if a planing frame with low trail
geometry is the bee's knees. It's all doable, as long as you have the
mental fortitude, physical fitness, and correct "comfort" bike fit. The
speeds *will* be different, but randonneuring is never about all-out speed;
randonneuring is about finishing within the time limit, having fun, and
perhaps having a bit of self-discovery and introspection.

As others have pointed out, remaining comfortable (particularly with the
contact points) and having a reliable bike are two critical factors that a
bike can make. I'll also add that one shouldn't skimp on tires, so that
eye-watering $$$$ spent on Rene Herse or other fast-rolling supple tires
will seem good value when you're wondering if you can make that last 20%.

Good luck!