Initially the paint was Sanded before the sale was made to ensure there was
no damage to the tubing. I have since additionally picked off a few more
loose chunks and sanded a bit more to prevent moisture buildup and rust.
I'll probably finger nail polish it at some point to protect. I honestly
think the actual cause of the cracks in the paint is just from contaminants
or poor quality. Maaaaybe not flex. :P

As for the shifter, I was working on installing my rear derailer chain and
cassette...with the reverse rapid rise the derailer was in the way for
chain sizing and I didn't have a tandem cable. I had an old Simplex/huret
thumb shifter that happened to fit on the downtube support. And with a
little drillout was able to use a problem solvers noodle pulley that lined
up the cabling perfectly to the bottom bracket. I gave it a short ride and
decided to keep it for now as it's actually fairly accessible and easy to
use. More out of the way for mountain biking which is what this bike is
being built for. See how it holds up! I guess that spot is the same
diameter as a bar. Sooooo could maybe do that with another higher quality
hinged thumby.