Trying and failing for years consecutively sounds pretty rough.  I'm not
that patient.

What works for me might not work for you, though.

If/when I have no clue what works for me, I enthusiastically try saddles as
cheaply as I can.  The best deal I know of is bike shops that have a test
saddle program.  For most shops that have a test saddle program, they have
a bunch of test saddles.  They charge you something like $40, and you get
to try as many of their test saddles as you like over some time period,
like 90 days.  After the time is up, if you decide to buy a saddle, they
knock $40 off the price.  If you don't buy a saddle, they keep your $40.

I think that's a good program.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA