My mechanical reasoning challenged mind does not get the apparently self
evident "mechanically, logically, intuitively, low-normal/RapidRise
derailers are better…"  If I cared that my shifters both went the same way
to get to a lower gear I would probably go to a reverse pull front
derailleur to achieve that.  I agree, I want my low NOW and my experience
is I get that when I am pulling the derailleur not when the spring is.  To
me, this is why a reverse pull front derailleur on a tandem is sometimes a
solution to having trouble shifting to a granny on a tandem - the springs
just seem to have trouble counteracting any chain tension.  It is easier on
a single to release all the tension so the spring of normal pull front
derailleurs usually handle that shift without too much trouble.  I also
don't buy that low normal didn't take because of racers.  The slant
parallelogram was a big success for Suntour because they actually were so
much better even though the pros weren't using Suntour derailleurs.  I
kinda think that if OM actually was so much better they also would have
succeeded in the market.  I have nothing against them and think it is great
that there are choices to meet various needs or desires, I'm just not
personally moved.

 I still find the Rene Herse rear derailleur the most intriguing of the
small shop derailleurs.  If it could handle a cog larger than what FKT
riders use I might even be tempted to give one a try.  Wait, I thought he
sold those but I can't find them on their website??

Bill S
San Diego