I've lost more cameras than I can count to theft, damage, drops, etc. But
to me, that's the price of getting good photos. A camera sitting in a
closet won't get good photos, and a bike in a secured garage not getting
ridden won't leave you with good memories. (Worse, when that bike gets
stolen the thief managed to get a bike with very little mileage on it!) I
think there's no way around it. Again, my back up plan is to have a very
firm idea of what geometry the bike has (down to the diagrams when
possible), and then in a pinch I can have a custom builder replicate it. My
recent experience this year of cracking a frame (the frame builder jumped
me to the top of the queue since it was a warranty replacement) was what
made me realized that having a second nice road bike isn't an extravagance.
So that's another viable alternative.