after riding a lot of bikes in a lot of terrible conditions i've come to
find for the most part a semi well maintained bike is pretty robust and not
so worried anymore.

the two things that DO worry me is

1. bike theft. Having a bike you can lock up. Ideally the workplace has
secure bike parking and if I park for less than a few hours neighborhood
pending. I no longer bar hop and in general pretty careful about where to
park for short periods. Knock on wood aside from a few stolen bits and bobs
off my bikes never had any real major theft.

2. SALT. Previously living in Alberta, they put some sort of demonic liquid
ice melt on the paths. I used the 45north Kavas on my winter bike and they
were great in all conditions and especially on ice and hardpack snow. The
ice melt would melt through snow and ice making some sort of corrosive
slurry that felt like riding on wet sand at a beach. The ice slurry ate
through an imperfect powder-coat on my SSFGmtb "winter bike". By spring it
was bubbling and flaking terribly and lead to a lot of rust that I have yet
to deal with since moving other than a good scrub and light oiling. It's
fine as "beausage" on my Marino winter bike - but would have been pretty
choked if it were a Riv or Crust 4x the cost and meant as a "lifer".  If
they just left the packed snow it'd been fine and i'd ride any bike in the
snow with studded tires.

I feel quite guilty if i'm not using most of my bikes regularly.