Regarding having shifters in a location other than the primary grip - I
think it comes down to how comfortable you are moving your hands around the
bars and riding with them away from the controls (Josiah touched on this in
his response).

Most MTBs are setup for a single hand position with all controls (brakes,
shifters, dropper, etc.) accessible without moving the hands at all. I have
a couple of bikes likes this - if the bars only have one grip location it
makes sense (though you could argue that even an MTB flat bar could be
gripped in other places).

Road bikes with drop bars have multiple places to put your hands. Brifters
keep the brakes/shifters immediately accessible when on the hoods and
drops, but not the tops. Some go so far as to add interrupter levers to
have brake control there too.

You can increase your comfort level with not having controls right next to
your hands by moving your hands around more and riding away from the
controls longer. It does depend on / vary with the riding environment,
speed, etc.

It's easier to get comfortable with shifters being less accessible than it
is with brakes. Riding bikes with DT shifters and, especially, single speed
bikes helps you realize that you don't need to be in the perfect gear all
the time. That combined with benefits of a handlebar that allows for
multiple hand positions and back angles can result in setup that makes
looks like shifting is a secondary consideration - because it is.

Many settle on a readily but not necessarily immediately accessible
position for shifting (bar ends, stem shifters, thumbies mounted somewhere
other than the brake lever) as a good middle ground.

-Dave