Mr. Ray, I almost bought one of the VO polyvalents, but no LBS carried one
to try and I was clueless on how to build up a bike.

Reginald, thank you for that tip.

Y'all. I took Rubia (hey, look at that, my bike has a name now) out for a
rainy commute and it was incredibly empowering. Back in ye olde car days,
I'd have 100% opted to drive. And before I figured out what tools would
help make me feel comfortable riding in the rain, I'd have called a
rideshare for trips that didn't have efficient public transit options. Both
me--except for my shoes--and my stuff (including pointe shoes, which are
extremely sensitive to moisture) arrived home bone dry. Most importantly, I
felt comfortable and safe.

Besides my previously mentioned bags from Wizard Works and RBW and the
lights and many reflective touches I keep on my bike, here's what made it
comfortable for me.

1. Bike poncho (in yellow), but you can see it on a bike in the black
color: https://store.moma.org/products/kiu-reflective-bike-poncho. I had
the back under my rear end since my saddle had a (quite soaked) cover on.
I'm sure any poncho or garbage bag would truly be fine, this just had a lot
of features that were v functional for me. I felt like I was in a little
cocoon of reflectivity and water-repellent safety.

2. Randi Jo Fabrications saddle cover on my leather saddle kept it d r y
despite being locked up in the rain for over an hour. I'm pretty sure I
found out about RJF from you fine folx, so many hat tips to you.