I agree with Patrick; my wife was never so happy as when I set up her bike
1x and she just had to use one shifter.  She rides mostly for errands and
still occasionally forgets which direction "makes it harder".  As for
friction, put me in the indexed camp.  I like the click-and-it goes
simplicity and am willing to deal with aligning derailleur hangers more
often to get it.