Give your friend friction shifters first for goodness sake. Don't sell them
short in their abilities, people don't need or want to be treated as
incapable. You don't have to buy expensive thumbshifters, Sunrace SLM10 and
Falcon are ratcheting ones for $10-15 and include cables. The ratcheting
mechanism is plastic, but for casual use they work just fine. I have bot.
They feel quite nice in the hand and can be used on both road and mtb bars.

I liken this to learning to drive. I learned with a manual transmission in
high school drivers ed via a simulator trailer we had. When I actually got
into a car with a manual tranny it was easy as pie. Should I have been
"spared" the chance I'd be incapable of driving a car and shifting a manual
transmission at the same time ?  Let them shift, let them mis-take a few.
With manual shifting these are easily corrected. When indexed shifting goes
wonky and you have no idea how shifting works in the first place, you're
helpless as you have idea why the thingy on the handlebar doesn't work or
even what it does.