bmfo  used two question marks in a post, but I'm not sure whether the
questions were sincere or rhetorical.  They were:

"its still prone to being broken or bent. Then what? "  Then the owner of
that $15000 custom built bike will buy replacement parts from Rene Herse
"Will RH be making this thing 10 or 15 years down the line? "  That's
exactly what Rene Herse has promised.  Just like they promised to stock
their proprietary chainrings for their premier crankset.  Compare that to
EVERY OTHER rear derailleur in existence today.  None of them are
completely rebuildable, and none of them come with a manufacturer
commitment to offer all replacement parts in perpetuity.  I don't blame
anybody who thinks Rene Herse will be out of business in 10-15 years.
Choosing current disposable rear derailleurs with standard fitment is an
excellent hedge against future replacement needs.

The advice I have to every cyclist in 2022:  If you think you may need a
particular replacement part down the road, buy it today, because it might
not be around when you need it.  If I was planning a $15000 custom bike
around this RD, I would probably buy a second copy of it.  If I was willing
to buy a $15000 bicycle, I could afford a spare rear der.

In my book Jan and Grant are exactly the same.  Both took enormous time,
effort and expense to execute a project they believe in.  Neither will make
money for their companies.  Neither was a publicity stunt.  They just
believed in something and decided to do it.  Both think all current
derailers are great.  Both wanted to offer an alternative choice.  Both
would not have bothered if such a thing was available today.   If you want
one, buy one.  If you don't want one, no problem.

Bill Lindsay