I still have several bikes with freewheels and I really love the
"MegaRange" 7 speed freewheels that Rivendell occasionally has in stock.
14-16-18-20-22-24-34. The 14-24 is a close ratio 6 speed and the 34 is the
emergency granny. Plus the 135mm 7 speed freewheel hubs have almost no
spoke offset so the wheel is stronger (I am no lightweight). Right now I am
readying a 12-27 9 speed cassette (12-13-14-15-17-19-21-24-27) with 48-34
crank for my Rosco Bubbe V1 (previously a single speed) for riding the
levees. Not a lot of hills in Florida either, gears are mostly used for
compensating for wind speed and direction. Less expensive cassettes with
individual sprockets allow you to mix and match to build your own. I am
fond of the "MegaRange" style gearing with the single large inner sprocket
- I have no need of multiple low range gears here.

Laing
Delray Beach FL