That's why I have 8 cm stems on my AHH and my Bombadil. If I wanted to
run longer stems, I'd definitely need smaller frames. The issue would
then be how much vertical stem and seatpost get exposed to get the
proper heights and relationships. I could place the handlebar below
the saddle... Oh wait! That's how I rode pre-Rivendell and I had the
hand, neck and shoulder pain...

I think I'm happy with my short 8 cm stems... ;-)

René

On 5/18/10, EricP <ericpl...@aol.com> wrote:
> This is an interesting conversation.  Every time I think about getting
> an even bigger frame, end up thinking more about reach more than
> standover.  Based on these statements, I should be trying a 63cm
> frame.  Yet about a year and a half ago straddled a 62 orange
> Quickbeam.  The reach was so far my arms were fully extended on the
> hoods.  Couldn't really even get to the drops.
>
> Maybe that bike had an unusually long stem.  But to get that bike to
> work for me, would probably need a 7 or 8cm stem.
>
> Eric Platt
> St. Paul, MN
>
> On May 18, 7:10�pm, jamison brosseau <jamison.bross...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> its funny cause the atlantis was the first riv bike i was interested
>> in. �i plan on getting another next year, but am afraid the 61 would
>> be too small. �when i was concerned about the 61 vs 63 Keven suggested
>> i just ride the 63 for a while and see what i thought. �I couldn't be
>> happier. �Out of curiosity how tall are you. �I am 6 ft even.
>> thanks jamison
>>
>> On May 18, 7:40�pm, Rene Sterental <orthie...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> > My saddle height on both bikes is set at 76.5cm; with your saddle height
>> > do agree that standover with the 60 Bombadil should not be an issue. I
>> > haven't hurt myself, but I always get very conscious of the top tube
>> > height
>> > when straddling the bike, especially if wearing sandals... :-)
>>
>> > I don't quite feel atracted to the Hunqa... can't really say why... if I
>> > ended up swapping frames, I think I'd be more comfortable with the
>> > Atlantis.
>> > It's a bike that is somehow growing on me after my intial reaction of
>> > rejection during my pre-Riv days... :-)
>>
>> > I do love my Bombadil, in the end, perhaps I'll just keep it and just
>> > ride
>> > it with up to 700x50 tires to keep the standover height manageable.
>>
>> > Ren�
>>
>> > --
>>
>> --
>> -