I've been puzzled by Nitto's and consequently Rivendell's -- yes, absurdly
low -- weight limits for racks that are sold as the top in design and
quality and price. I see that the Riv product copy instructs users to use
the strap right after stating the 2 kg weight limit for this $160 rack. The
logical response to this would be to say, "Hell no!" and buy something else.

Now I don't believe that Nitto products are merely precious and expensive
and useless bling; I'm very familiar with Nitto stems, seatposts, and bars.
But I have chosen Tubus racks because they offer very generous weight
limits -- 44 lb for the 12 oz Tubus Fly (chromo; my ss one -- Luna -- is a
wee bit heavier and with a slightly lower limit), and I've used several
over thousands of miles under sometimes limit-pushing (even exceeding)
loads with no problem; short shopping trips, true, but a lot of them and
with heavy loads. Of course, for truly expensive rack bling, you could
choose the titanium GBP386 Airy at 8 oz and rated for 66 lb!