On Thursday, February 9, 2023 at 9:36:36 AM UTC-6 peter....@gmail.com wrote:
... So I just had my 1995 Rivendell Road restored at Waterford Precision
Cycles late last Fall.  I actually ordered the frame in 1995, it was brazed
at the Waterford factory in late '95 and delivered to me in January of
1996.  So I consider a 1995. It was originally Sherwood Forest Green.

Holy Moly! That is an absolutely stunning restore/rebuild! And lovely
studio work to show it off. There's a good chance I saw your Sherwood Green
frame at the factory - we were pretty busy working on the Heron concept at
that point, so I was down there a lot. I agree with that Sherwood Green
wasn't a great color for Rivs - as you said, doesn't show off the lugs.

My wife and I gave each other a Santana tandem for our wedding gift to each
other in 1986. Not long ago we had Waterford paint it in Light English
Blue, so I'm a big fan of that color. The Santana graphics are white and
gold - perfect combo! As for the question about durability of Waterford's
paint - they had a period back then when something went wrong with their
chemical pre-treatment bath. The first batch of Herons suffered from that.
In addition to the tandem, I had them repaint my Proto Bleriot in metallic
copper (root beer!) and both paint jobs were excellent and have been
durable.

It's not just by luck you worked with Richard, as he does all the customer
facing stuff for Waterford. If any of you are ever talking with him and are
interested in music, ask him about the orchestra he plays in.

Ah, the fabulous Salsa seatpost. I wanted Grant to work that mechanism into
the lugged post. It's such a great "screw the weight, it's functional!"
kind of thing. Is the saddle from Fyxation? If so, it's the same as the
Soma Ensho, which is the same as what used to be sold by Dimension as the
Afton Classic. It's made by Velo in Taiwan. If that's what it is, you'll
see Velo molded into the bottom. Sean Virnig tipped me to that saddle and I
have either the Afton or the Ensho on almost every bike. Sean referred to
that color (which is usually real leather, unlike the other colors) as Baby
Poo Brown. I put it on my son-in-law's Rambouillet (Waterford repaint in
dark blue metallic) with brown leather bar wrap, and it looks just right.

As others have said, kudos for putting the love back into the bike. As I
said about one of Eric Marth's projects, I love seeing people do this sort
of thing where it's clear they're not thinking about "what can I sell this
for?"

Ted Durant
Milwaukee WI USA